no known camp badge

Aldershot Army Cadet Camp

Platoon Photos 2 photos
Nominal Rolls
Photo Gallery  25 photos
Camp Map
Camp Commanders 1943 to 1971
Camp RSMs 1943 to 1971
Camp souvenirs and patches from the years
Reviewing Officers Grad/Final Parade
1943-1971
History Section (Ephemera: Papers, programs, menus. etc.)
Film & Video
Music on the jukebox 
 



Back to main ACSTC page

1943 ? - 1971

Camp Aldershot located just outside Kentville Nova Scotia.

Opened in 1904 as a militia training camp for infantry, cavalry and field artillery soldiers. At the time, most of the troops were house in tents, but a few temporary buildings were constructed. With the outbreak of the Great War in 1914, the camp became a very busy training facility, with upward of 7000 troops training there at any one time.

After the war, the temporary buildings were torn down, but the camp continued its role as a militia training camp. Only one building remained; Borden Hall, built in 1916.

With the outbreak of World War II in 1939, the camp once again became a training facility for active service troops. Designated No. 14 Advanced Infantry (Rifle) Training Centre, the camp also included a School of Instruction, an Officer Training School and other trades training. Although numerous buildings were erected, the troops were still housed in tents, just like their World War I predecessors. After the war, the camp reverted back to a militia and cadet training camp.

From 1952 - 1959, various battalions of The Black Watch (Royal Highland Regiment) of Canada rotated through Camp Aldershot, and the Regimental Depot was on site until it relocated to Camp Sussex, New Brunswick in 1955.

Cadets from the Atlantic region and Newfoundland and Labrador took their training at the camp from 1948 to 1971. The camp shifted briefly to Camp Debert for 1954 and 1955 before returning to Aldershot after a major camp refit. Army Cadets from Atlantic region last trained there in masse in 1971, the following summer the camp moved to Gagetown, New Brunswick.