Back to Cadet Corps Database 201-300 page

#219 Cadet Corps

Name -  Granby College Cadet Corps

Location   Granby, QC

Formed  Oct 16, 1909     Disbanded   March 4, 1911 

Commanding Officers/Chief Instructors- 

   

 

 

 

  

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Senior Cadets

   

 

 

 

  

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Corps Flag

 

Corps Home

 

 

 

 

History - also known as Granby Cadet Corps

 

Trophies

 

1910s - - - - - - - - -

 

 


Name -  New Glasgow Legion Cadet Corps

Location   New Glasgow, NS

Formed  March 18, 1914     Disbanded   Active

Commanding Officers/Chief Instructors- 

 

 

Capt H.K. Bate (1916) Biography

 

 

 

Capt Glifton Sparks (1943) Biography

 

 

 

LCol Leon M. Rhodenizer, CD (1945-60) Biography

 

 

 

Capt H.E. MacDonald CD (1969-71) Biography

 

Capt Lawrence MacKinnon (1971-75) Biography  
Capt George Mamos (1976) Biography  
Capt Lawrence MacKinnon (1976-83) Biography  
Maj T.I. Kennedy CD (1983-88) Biography  

Capt C.J. Keough (1988-93) Biography

Capt John Weir (1993-96) Biography  
Captain Fred Edwards (?) Biography  

Capt Don E. Husser (2005) Biography

 

Capt Don Ross Bland (2010-)

 

 

Senior Cadets

   

 

 

 

C/CWO Amy Bland (2003)  

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Corps Flag

 

 

Corps Home

 

 

 

"New Glasgow High School" flocked shoulder flash WWII
 

History - 

New Glasgow High School Cadet Corp. This Corps was formed 18 Mar 1914 as the 78th Pictou Highlanders (aff 78th Regt), with two companies in New Glasgow, and one in Westville. In 1917, C and D Companies were formed. In 1930, it was changed from a battalion to a corps. Redisig: 219 New Glasgow High School Cadet Corps Oct 1930. On Jan 2, 1943, the corps was affiliated with 2 (R) Bn. Pictou Highlanders. It was under the sponsorship of the Board of School Commissioners of New Glasgow. In 1958 authority was granted for the Corps to become affiliated with 1st Bn Nova Scotia Highlanders. Letter SSO Cdts 1085-11-3 (DRO) 07 Dec 81 placed the Corps on probation due to lack of a parade in 1981 and a lack of cadets and instructors. According to the 1982 and 1983 annual inspection reports the Corps remained on probation. Eff 1 Sep 83 the Corps changed sponsor to Branch 35, Royal Canadian Legion, according to D Cdts Msg. (Although according to request from Commanding Officer and CF790s since then, it is actually Branch 34), New Glasgow and change of designation to New Glasgow Legion Cadet Corps, thus changing the Corps to an open Corps. Letter ARHQ: 1085-11-3 (COS RO) dated 20 Feb 85 removed Corps from probation. Letter sent re corps history 18 Nov 91
Affiliated unit A Coy of the 1st Bn, NS Highs (North).. H.Q. 12-P-18 Coys perhaps existed in Westville NS early in it's history.

 

"New Glasgow High School" flocked shoulder flash WWII

 

CORPS HISTORY 


The first New Glasgow Cadet Corps (#236CC) was organized under the leadership of Mr. H. G. Clarke in the year 1909. At this time, the Corps consisted of only High School Boys, like Hugh MacPherson, who won the 1st prize as best shot in the Cadet Corps of the Dominion. The Corps kept up activities for two years but then interest lagged and the Corps ceased for a time. (There is no official documentation to support this formation in 1909 by the Cadet League and Militia Orders.) . 
The Cadet Corps once again emerged and was formally formed on March 18, 1914 as the 78th Pictou Highlanders, with affiliation to the 78th Highland Regiment. At this time, twenty cadets signed on. In April of the same year, the name changed to 219 New Glasgow High School Cadet Battalion. The original uniforms were the same as those worn by the Canadian Expeditionary Forces. During World War 1, the Corps strength averaged 120 Cadets and maintained a 24 piece brass band. Despite the decline in Cadet training between the two World Wars, this Corps maintained two detachments (one in Junior and one in Senior High School averaging about 50 members each.

The fall of 1916 saw the formation of the first band for our Corps as a Brass Band under the direction of Donald Fraser. The first public appearance of the band was made at first Presbyterian Church Hall on Friday, April 13, 1917. On May 7th they paraded on the march through the main streets of New Glasgow playing “Onward Christian Soldiers” and “Maryland”. On May 24th, 1917 the band gave their first public concert in the West Side Park. It is stated in the 1918-19 New Glasgow Cadet Annual that the success of the New Glasgow Cadet band has brought greater satisfaction to the people of the town than any other movement undertaken on behalf of the boys, who are to be the citizens of tomorrow. The Cadet band is an organization that New Glasgow could not very well get along without. It has won a place not only in the admiration of the citizens but in public service that could not be dispensed with. The band was now an essential part of the civic and social and patriotic life of the whole community. On Empire Day in 1918, after barely a year of study and practice, the band went to Halifax to take part in a patriotic demonstration and competition drill. The New Glasgow Cadet Band furnished the music for the parade that was made up of junior military organizations from several schools. In New Glasgow, week after week, the band gathered loyally at the train depot to welcome home the heroes, who had months before left New Glasgow to take part in the great world struggle. By special invitation, the New Glasgow Band traveled to Halifax to welcome the arrival from the War of the 85th Nova Scotia Highlanders. The band was rewarded a place in the parade to lead the 85th Battalion on its last march from the Commons to a great banquet spread at the Armouries. This was the final gathering of the Regiment before its members separated to their respective homes. As the Cadet Band led the gallant men to the immense dining room it was a proud march and the more so as one officer of the gallant 85th remarked, it was the honor of leading that Battalion in its last attack. 


The 78th Cadet Rifle Club was another important division of the 78th New Glasgow Corps. About this time, Colonel Thomas Cantley (who later became Senator) took a lively interest in the Corps. He offered several prizes and gave the boys Glengarries and Badges. While in Ottawa, Col Cantley interviewed the Militia Dept and shortly afterward the Corps was equipped with “22” Ross Rifles. Col Cantley also offered a bronze box, one of fifty made from a captured German gun, to the best all around shot. The Dominion Cartridge Company was known to organize Rifle Clubs all over Canada and one was organized among the boys of this Cadet Corps with an enrollment of 59. In an account of Rifle Clubs sent out by the Dominion Marksman, people state that the highest individual score in 1918 was made by a New Glasgow Cadet, named Homer Smith. Our Corps also lead in a number of medals and held 2nd place for the percentage of boys shooting which gave us 1st place in Canada. The New Glasgow Cadet Corps led all other teams in the Dominion Championship with a score of 2729 out of a possible 2800, or a team average of 97.4% under the direction of Mr. Fraser MacDonald. The history of the Corps is very vague between 1920-1950, but we have learned recently (from our 90th Reunion) that the name of the Corps had been changed around 1919 or 1920 from the 78th Highland Regiment Cadet Battalion to the New Glasgow High School Cadet Battalion. In 1924, Mr. L. M. Rhodenizer joined the High School teaching staff and took a keen interest in the Cadet Corps. The upkeep and efficiency of the Corps is also credited to Mr. Rhodenizer as he became Principal of the High School in the early 1930’s when the name was changed from a battalion to a Corps. It is believed that during the early 1930’s was when the Cadet Band changed over from Brass to Pipes & Drums. The Corps once again flourished under his direction and in 1936 the Corps was given the use of the Scottish uniforms of the Pictou Highlanders. It was in this year that the New Glasgow High School Cadet Corps was judged the most efficient Cadet unit in the Maritimes. This high standard was maintained until the outbreak of World War 2 and the subsequent enlistment of Lt Col Rhodenizer. The training from 1939 to 1945 was carried out by several well meaning but rather ill-prepared instructors. In 1943, the Corps was affiliated with 2nd Battalion Pictou Highlanders and was under the sponsorship of the Board of School Commissioners of New Glasgow. In the fall of 1945, Lt Col Rhodenizer returned to his teaching duties in New Glasgow and immediately took control of Cadet training again. Improvement was at once noticed and in 1946 Summer Camp, the Corps was judged third in standing in Nova Scotia. On June 21st, 1955, the Pictou Highlanders and the Nova Scotia Highlanders were merged together to form the 1st Battalion Nova Scotia Highlanders (North) which is the affiliated unit of the Corps today. 


Looking back at old Cadet Records from years gone by, I have discovered that in keeping with the Corps being a High School Corps, the numbers of Cadets were very high in comparison to today’s attendance. For example, on Dec 23, 1955, the Corps strength was 112 members; on Mar 30, 1966 there were 148 cadets on strength.


On Dec 7, 1981, the Corps was placed on probation due to the lack of cadets and instructors. This probation continued until Sept 1st, 1983, when the 219 Corps changed sponsor to Branch 34, Royal Canadian Legion. This also changed the designation of the Corps to the New Glasgow Legion Army Cadets, thus changing the Corps to an open Corps with affiliation to A Coy of the 1st Battalion Nova Scotia Highlanders (North). This was the last school Cadet Corps in Pictou County to open up its doors for outsiders to join its ranks. Today, 219 RCACC consists of both male and female Cadets ranging in age from 12-19 years. We are located at the New Glasgow Armouries, 10 Riverside Parkway, in which we have office space, QM, 3 classrooms and a drill floor. We are very thankful to our affiliated unit for allowing us this very important place to meet. At the present time we have approximately 85 Cadets on strength after a successful recruiting drive and training year.

 

Trophies

 

1910s 1920s 1930s 1940 1941 1942 1943 1944 1945 1946
1947 1948 1949 1950 1951 1952 1953 1954 1955 1956
1957 1958 1959 1960 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966
1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1974 1975 1976
1977 1978 1979 1980 1981 1982 1983 1984 1985 1986
1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1994 1995 1996
1997 1998 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006
2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016