Back to Cadet Corps Database 2501-2600 page

#2570 Cadet Corps

Corps Flag

 Photo Gallery

 

Name -           North Shore Cadet Corps    

Location       Vancouver North, BC 

Formed     October 1, 1955    Disbanded      May 5, 1959

Commanding Officers/Chief Instructors- 

  Capt George King (1955-59) Biography

 

 

Senior Cadets 

 

 

 

 

 

Corps Flag

 

Corps Home

Lonsdale Hall, Corp's home 1955-57 (Courtesy Bob Irvine)

 

 

History -   

 affil.: 43rd MAA Regt RCA, Oct 1, 1955

 

            #2570 North Shore Cadet Corps was registered in Ottawa on 1 October 1955 and was affiliated with the 211th Battery of the 43rd Medium Anti-Aircraft Regiment, Royal Canadian Artillery (Militia), which at the time was sharing space in the armoury with 6th Field Squadron RCE (Militia). The Chief Instructor was Captain George King, a former Provost Corps officer. The last of the N. Van school corps, #1699 North Vancouver High School 6th Field Squadron RCE Cadet Corps had been disbanded one year earlier (in October 1954) and the community was ready to support a new army cadet corps.

            #2570 started off in the North Vancouver armoury but had to relocate when 6 Field Squadron started their own engineer corps (#2573). The corps was moved to the Branch #114 Royal Canadian Legion building in Lynn Valley and after a year or so, moved again to the basement of Lonsdale Hall at the corner of 23rd Street and Lonsdale Avenue in North Vancouver where the Harry Jerome Recreation Centre is now located. The hall had the advantage of being 1 block from North Vancouver High School and the previous tenants, the air cadets, had renovated the basement to suit the needs of cadets.

Not too long afterwards, it was announced that the corpsí affiliated unit was to be disbanded (in October of 1959) and absorbed by the 15th Field Regiment RCA in Vancouver. The decision was made to shut the cadet corps down and move the cadets (about 45) and instructors back to the armoury to become members of #2573. #2570 North Shore Cadet Corps was officially disbanded on 5 May 1959. (Courtesy Bob Irvine)

 

1955 1956 1957 1958 1959