Back to Cadet Corps Database 701-800 page

#765 Cadet Corps

Name -       Copper Cliff Highlanders Cadet Corps

Location       Copper Cliff, ON

Formed   July 30, 1918     Disbanded    January 10, 1993

Commanding Officers/Chief Instructors- 

  

 

 

 

 

 

Maj J.A. Swain (RF) (1950) Biography

 

 

 

 

 

Senior Cadets

   

 

 

 

  

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Corps Flag

 

Corps Home

 

 

 

"765 Copper Cliff Highlanders C.C." flocked shoulder flash WWII ca.1942

post war shoulder flash melton cloth ca.1950s

post war shoulder flash melton cloth (smaller but thick lettering) ca.1950s 

1970-80s era shoulder flash embroidered

 

Hat badge ca.1918

voided pattern Glengarry badge ca.unknown

 

voided pattern Glengarry badge ca.1940s

unvoided pattern Glengarry badge ca.1950s

 

anodized aluminum Glengarry badge ca.1960s

 

anodized aluminum Glengarry badge, variation

anodized aluminum Glengarry badge, variation

 

History -   

This Corps was formed 30 Jul 1918 and designated Copper Cliff Highlanders Cadet Corps. It was sponsored by The International Nickel Co. of Canada. No affiliation with anyone. Sponsor changed to the Town of Copper Cliff but no date was known as no records were known of this. Effective Feb 72 sponsorship changed again to Branch 224, Royal Canadian Legion. Eff 10 Jan 93 (D Cdts Adm 0038 of 13 Jan 93) this corps was disbanded.

Badge designed by Band Major Sam Laderoute. He was their  Pipe band instructor for almost 50 years. Band played on for a couple of years after the Corp was disbanded, hence new badge. Coppercliff Highlanders, 1917-1992.

 

1910s 1920s 1930s 1940 1941 1942 1943 1944 1945 1946
1947 1948 1949 1950 1951 1952 1953 1954 1955 1956
1957 1958 1959 1960 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966
1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1974 1975 1976
1977 1978 1979 1980 1981 1982 1983 1984 1985 1986
1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 -    

 

 

This bugle once belonged to 765 Coppercliff Highlanders, made of copper an brass it dates back to at least WWI and perhaps as far back as the Boer War. Very little history is known about this bugle. The cap badge is the WWII pattern badge, so it could have been attached to the bugle as early as 1944. 

After the corps stood down in 1993, it somehow found its way to the US where it was sold at auction in Seattle, Washington in 1999 and returned to Canada where it was donated to Vernon ACSTC in 2002. Today it is used by the duty bugler each day to call reveille and sunset