Back to Cadet Corps Database main page

#85 Cadet Corps

 

Name - St. Paul's Church Lads Cadet Corp

Location  Halifax, NS

Formed Sept 1, 1902     Disbanded  Apr 6, 1920

Commanding Officers/Chief Instructors- 

   Mr. James Costin (1902-04) Biography

 

 Mr. R. A. Johnson (1904-12) Biography

 

  Mr. Schlater (1912-14) Biography

 

 Lt. Havelock Douglas (1914-15) Biography

 

 Sgt. Major Jones (1915-) Biography

 

 

 

Senior Cadets

   

 

 

 

  

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Corps Flag

 

Corps Home

 

 

 

History - attached 1st Regt of Canadian Artillery. HQ 12-138-1

Two companies of the Church Lads’ Brigade had been established in Halifax, Nova Scotia, as early as 1893, at St Luke’s and St George’s Anglican Churches. (The CLB was formed in England in 1891.) Another CLB company was enrolled at Christ Church, Dartmouth in 1895. Very little information concerning these companies is available.

Company No. 2060, St Paul’s Church Lads’ Brigade, Halifax, was started in the year 1900, although its enrolment date is 21st March 1902. It was opened in the place of a Boys’ Society. For boys over 12, the company met on Thursday night, was well staffed, had a membership of 55 lads, rising to 75 in the second year. Late in the first season they formed an ice hockey team, traveling across the harbour to the Dartmouth Rink to play Christ Church C.L.B. Company. A baseball team was also organised.

In their second year they received rifles and were drilling under the instruction of Mr. James Costin, the first Captain of the company, and Sgt. Major Roberts of the 63rd Rifles. More time was also given over to gymnastic exercises. The first summer camp was held in August 1903 when 35 lads went under canvas for a week at Col. Curran’s farm on the Dartmouth side of the Bedford Basin. A winter sleigh ride became part of the company’s annual programme.

In the fall of 1904, Mr. Costin left Halifax and Mr. R. A. Johnson took command. Membership rose to 93 lads, 60 of whom went to Camp, again at Col. Curran’s farm. Through the kindness of Col. Irving, D.O.C., the company was permitted to drill at the Armouries, a huge drill hall some distance away from St. Paul’s. A marching band, with some 16 members, was making good progress. 

The Church’s Year Book of 1906, notes for the first time, that the C.L.B. ‘is a regularly gazetted corps of the militia (No. 85) attached to the First Regiment Canadian Artillery‘. It also states ‘that a number of boys, as they grow up, go over into the regular militia.’ Camp in August 1905 was at Hubbard’s Cove. St. Paul’s C.L.B. Cadets must have been one of the earliest non-school Cadet Corps to be formed in Canada.

For the next few years the company suffered from a lack of adult help and frequent changes of leadership and officers. Membership dropped to 30 lads. In the Spring of 1910 it was noted that interest had waned and meetings were discontinued until the Autumn. For the 1911/12 session Mr. Johnson was back in command. Green denim uniforms arrived. There was also, by this time, a Scout Troop in the Church.

A new Captain, Mr. Schlater, took command in the 1912/13 session. Membership was to rise again to 70 lads and a Fife and Drum band had been started. In the 1913/14 session the cadets were supplied with khaki uniforms. It is at this point that the connection with the Church Lads’ Brigade seems to have been severed and the company carried on as a Cadet Corps only. 

Mr Schlater left for the Front upon the outbreak of the Great War and Lt. Havelock Douglas took over command for the 1914/15 session, to be replaced by Sgt. Major Jones for the 1915/16 session. Membership was about 90 lads. Albert Major, a former member of the C.L.B. Cadets, was killed on the 3rd June 1916 while serving as a Lieutenant with the 14th Battalion Canadian Infantry (Quebec Regiment).

The Cadet Corps was disbanded in April 1920. (The Brigade List, published annually by the Church Lads' Brigade.
The St Paul's Church Year Book, published annually.) (provided by Johnny Conn)

 

Trophies

 

1910s 1920s - - - - - - - -