Back to main ACSTC page
In the summer of 1943, Army Cadet Camps were organized in eleven
locations across Canada for 10 days duration each. In the summer of 1947, the first experimental six-week
camp was held at the Ipperwash Military Camp on Lake Huron, North of
Sarnia, Ontario. Originally opened on 28 January 1942 as A29 Canadian Infantry Training Centre. Although A29 CITC ceased operations in 1945, the camp remained open as a training centre for the Regular Force,
Reserves. In 1946, the camp was used as a two-week summer camp for army
cadets, as an experiment. It was a success and as a result was expanded
in 1947 as the summer home of the Central Command Cadet Camp. Cadets attended Basic Training, Signaling, Driver-Mechanics,
and Senior Leaders courses. In 1948, the camp was further expanded and
paved the way for similar
camps in Dundurn, Vernon and Aldershot in the late 1940s and early 50s.
In 1994, because of a First Nation land claim, the Ipperwash Army Cadet Camp moved to Canadian Forces Base Borden, and was
renamed the Blackdown Army Cadet Summer Training Centre. Over the course of its
46 years existence, over 100,000 cadets and staff
passed through its gates.
Ipperwash, 1986 (DND)
Like it's counterparts in Vernon,
Farnham, Aldershot and later Valcartier and Argonaut, there was a great
sense of belong when attending the camp. Ipperwash's H-Hut barracks were
home to 1500+ cadets every summer.