Last Post 

Page 6

back to Page 1

Our friends shall never be forgotten

Tylor John Hallberg 

May 14, 1985 - October 14, 2003 

Tylor John Hallberg passed away suddenly on Tuesday, October 14, 2003 at the age of 18 years. Tylor John Hallberg was born May 14, 1985 in Hamiota, MB. Fifteen months later Aerock arrived on the scene. From that day on, their bond was inseparable. The two were always referred to as the twins because the two looked so alike. Two short years later their baby sister Kristen arrived. Tylor spent his first few years in Lenore close to Grandpa Lloyd and Grandma Ihros. He attended his first year of school in Virden, MB. The beginning of 1989 the family met and fell in love with Jim, who was to play a major part in their lives. The summer of 1990 we all moved to Griffin. Tylor started grade one in Griffin. Tylor wasn't the model student but got through the first four years in Griffin. Their next move was to the farm in the summer of 1995. Tylor started grade five at Queen Elizabeth School. The teachers there saw great potential in him. Grade six was the year that the light bulb came on in his school life. He went to the Weyburn Junior High and did well as a student. His fondest memory of the junior high was when Mrs. Keefe appointed Tylor treasurer of the SRC. All three kids joined the Brokenshell 4-H Club and enjoyed the seven years they spent there. Tylor did not care where he finished in class. One year in particular, he and his friend Conrad stood at the bottom end of the class, but all that mattered to Tylor was that his steer beat Conrad's. If Tylor had won any other class it would not have meant as much. In the summer of 2000 Aerock and Tylor successfully finished their hunter safety course at the top of their class and got asked through the Wildlife Federation to go to Prince Albert for a conservation course. That fall was Tylor's only successful year in hunting. His papa was at his side when Tylor shot his five-point buck. Jim and Aerock pushed bush and were there to witness the antics, Tylor and Papa jumping, yelling and screaming. Tylor and Aerock also joined Cadets together. They both enjoyed the challenges and friendships. But again Tylor felt with his asthma, he could not go to all the movements and camps. But he enjoyed all that he learned. It was here that his friendship with Tristan was re-established. The next thing you know Tylor was in the Comprehensive. Here is where he found his life's goal - mechanics and trucking. Everybody knows Tylor loved his shop classes. Tylor's favorite part of the week was every Tuesday and Thursday nights he would work on the Thunderbird with all of his closest friends, under the guidance of Cliff Tollefson. The next thing you know he was done school. His choice was not to attend the graduation ceremonies but to do what he loved best, to truck. He spent his last year and a half trucking for Colin Wilgenbush. Colin started out as a family friend but soon turned into part of the family. As long as Tylor's asthma wasn't bothering him he stayed active. But the good days came with the bad and he struggled. This week in particular he was having a very hard time coping with his breathing. We all can take comfort in knowing he does not have to struggle any more. His journey on earth was short but it touched so many people in so many ways. We know now that if we think of him in a better place he will be in a Peterbuilt, doing what he loved best, driving. Tylor's life was brief but he touched those he knew with his smile, laughter and his willingness to always help out a friend. Tylor, we are going to miss you. Predeceased by his great granpa Oscar; great gramma Josie; great granpa Dean; great granpa Aurthur; grandpa Aaron. Tylor will be sadly missed and lovingly remembered by his mom Kim and dad Jim; brother Aerock; sister Kristen; special friend Derek; great granny Edith Hopley; great gramma Louella Waymen; grama and grampa Lloyd and Ihros Hopley; mema and papa Rita and Denis Hallberg; grama Janzen; uncle Brian (Karen) Hopley and their children Regan, Curtis; aunt Liz (Wayne) Plett and their children Juanita (Elwin) Funk, daughter Michala, Heidi, Jody (Kathy); aunt Judy (Kevin) Wilkinson and their children Brodie and Zenon; aunt Joy (Rick) Harley and their children Rhea, Jade, Brynn, & Kayla; aunt Joan (Frank) Mayer and their daughter Katelin. As well as many numerous special aunts, uncles, cousins, and his many, many friends. A funeral service was held on Saturday, October 18 from Grace United Church, Weyburn. Rev Gary W. Goran officiated. Interment followed at Griffin Cemetery. For friends so wishing, donations in memory of Tylor may be made to the Weyburn Comprehensive High School - Restoration of T-Bird fund, 107-2nd Ave NW, Weyburn, SK or #2302 Army Cadet Corps, 150-3rd St NE, Weyburn. Arrangements entrusted to Assurance Funeral Services, Weyburn.



Landon Joseph Pitre 

October 28, 1977 - October 20, 2003


Landon Joseph Pitre passed away tragically in Saskatoon on Monday, October 20, 2003 at the age of 25 years. Landon was born October 28, 1977 in Weyburn. He attended Queen Elizabeth School, Souris, Weyburn Junior High, and the Weyburn Comprehensive High School. His school activities included W.C.S. Eagles football team, winning a silver metal in the league finals, W.C.S. Concert Choir, earning most improved male vocalist in grade 12, W.C.S. Drama that ironically his part in the play was that of a police officer (with uniform borrowed from the Weyburn City Police), W.C.S. Yearbook Photographer and the W.C.S. Christian Club. Landon was diagnosed with asthma at 1-1/2 years of age but this never stopped his boundless energy and zest for life. At age 9, he was diagnosed with ADHD. From then until the end of Grade 12, he was on medication and there were some very trying times to say the least. Everyone around him took it with a grain of salt. Growing up Landon was involved in Beavers, Wolf Cubs, and Boy Scouts in the 3rd Weyburn Troop. He enjoyed going to the camps at Halbrite, Saskairie, Devil's Lake, N.D., Williston, N.D., Bengough Big Muddy and Moose Jaw. At the Moose Jaw camp he came down with chicken pox and had to come home. He was really upset that he had to miss camp. All these camps were made more memorable as his dad was along as a Scout Leader. Landon was also a member of the Royal Canadian Army Cadet Corps #2302 in Weyburn. He earned the rank of Corporal and received most improved cadet in his 3rd year. He attended a 6-week Cadet Leader Marksman Camp in Connaught, ON, meeting cadets from all over the world. Landon was also an avid 5-pin bowler, earning many medals and trophies. He attended the Saskatch-ewan Youth Bowling School in Saskatoon a number of times. He thoroughly enjoyed this and always strived to better his skill and mastery of the game. Landon graduated from W.C.S. in 1997, culminating his education. He had planned to join the Canadian Armed Forces upon graduation, but with all the dissension in Iran and Iraq, he changed his mind. Landon worked at various jobs in Weyburn and Estevan. In 1997, he went to Saskatoon in search of a career. After a few different ones, Landon hit upon the idea of working for the Justice Department. He took a course and became certified with the Saskatchewan Justice Department and started work with United Protection Services in Saskatoon as a security guard. He cherished his first assignment as a guard to country singer Don Williams. Landon loved his family, friends and Teddy, his Chinese Pug. Whenever he called home he inquired about the latest happenings with everyone. Landon met Amy in Saskatoon three years ago and they've been inseparable ever since. Amy, you've been a tremendous, positive influence in Landon's life. Thanks for being there and making sure he wasn't alone. You held a special place in Landon's heart. Landon touched the hearts of many with his short life and they his. And in giving his life, he saved another. Landon would have said he was just doing his job. Predeceased by his grandfather Robert Vogel (1977); brother Lyndon Chad Micheal Vogel (1974); cousin Kathy Jean Vogel (1978); and uncle Keith Joseph Pitre (1979). Landon leaves to cherish his life and memory his parents Daniel & Debra Pitre of Trossachs; sister Tammy (Darren) Berger of Saskatoon; nieces Shekinah LaRose, Chanel Vogel, Jasmine Berger, all of Saskatoon. Landon's best friend and partner Amy Sloboda; grandparents Virginia Vogel; Al & Agnes Pitre; great grandmother Annie Hrdlicka; aunts Teresa (Ken) Bohn and their children Tanner, Tyson; Helen (Don White) Ross and their children Michael, Kathleen & Michelle; Susan (Brian) Bouvier and their children Shawn, April (Rodney) Sandhoff, Audrey (Ken) Scott and their children Adrian (Lara), Adam, Rachel. Uncles Mike Vogel and his children Roman, Jada; Richard (Jeanne) Vogel and their children Sheldon, Michael (Natasha); Peter (Arlene) Vogel and their son Robert; Bruce (Wendy) Pitre and their children Ashton, Justin, and Alex; as well as numerous family and friends. A funeral mass was held on October 27 from St. Vincent de Paul Roman Catholic Church, Weyburn. Presider Father Albert Schmitz. Prayers were held Sunday, October 26 from St. Vincent de Paul R.C. Church with Father Keith Heiberg presider. Interment was held at Trossachs Cemetery. For friends so wishing, donations in memory of Landon may be made to a charity of one's choice. Arrangements entrusted to Assurance Funeral Service, Weyburn.


McGINNIS, John Archibald, Brigadier General (Retired), C.M., C.D

March 16, 1919 - February 16, 1999

Former Managing Director of the Toronto Historical Board and former Chairman of the Metro Toronto and Region Conservation Authority; former Commanding Officer, Queen's York Rangers (1st American Regiment) and later Commander, 15 Militia Group. Following that appointment he was Senior Militia Advisor for Ontario.

McGINNIS, John Archibald, Brigadier General (Retired), C.M., C.D. Former Managing Director of the Toronto Historical Board and former Chairman of the Metro Toronto and Region Conservation Authority; former Commanding Officer, Queen's York Rangers (1st American Regiment) and later Commander, 15 Militia Group. Following that appointment he was Senior Militia Advisor for Ontario.

He died peacefully, surrounded by family members, on Sunday, February 14, 1999, at Sunnybrook Health Science Centre, following a short illness. He was 79. John McGinnis was born in Flos Township, Ontario, son of Frederick Joseph McGinnis and Martha Emily Vollick (van Valkenberg). He is survived by his wife Carol Gregory McGinnis, their children Martha and Gregory, and daughter-in-law Gayle. Predeceased by his first wife Margaret Scott McGinnis (in 1959) and survived by their daughter Diane Daniel of Toronto; sons Jon (Christine) and Ross of Brampton; grandsons Christopher and Sean Daniel (Kim Rowan) and Jeff McGinnis; great-grandchildren Ingrid Rowan and Galen Daniel-Rowan; numerous nieces and nephews and their families. He served in the Royal Canadian Armoured Corps throughout W.W.II from 1939 in Canada, England and Northwest Europe, and subsequently in the Canadian Army Militia. He was Past President and Life Member of the Royal Canadian Armoured Corps Association; Past President, Royal Canadian Army Cadet League (Ontario); Life Member, Royal Canadian Military Institute; and Past President, Fort York Branch, Royal Canadian Legion. He was appointed Member of the Order of Canada in 1984 in recognition of his leadership in historical preservation. 



Poucher, John William


November 27, 1929 - September 20, 2007

John passed away peacefully at the Broadmead Lodge on 200 September 2007 at the age of 77, Predeceased by his wife Nicole Poucher and granddaughter Joelie McCaig, he leaves to cherish his memory his children: Douglas (Susan) Poucher, Karen(Daid) McCaig, Dawne (Marten) Poucher, and grandchildren, Andrew, Jason, Liam and Carolyn Poucher, as well as many other relatives and friends. Born as the youngest of six in Grandview MB. Jack left the family farm in Bield at an early age and later joined the Canadian Army in 1949.  A Korean War Veteran, he was an avid reader, Canadian history buff, gardener and woodsman wo loved the outdoors.  A wonderful family man and a real character, John always had a song to sing, a skip in his step, and a twinkle in his eye.  Dad, you were the wind beneath our wings and will be forever in our hearts.

 A private family viewing will take place with a reception to follow at the Esquimalt Legion Branch #172, 622 Admirals Road on Sunday Sep 23, starting at 3:30 No flowers or donations by request.  Condolences may be made to


John was Camp RSM 1973 and 1974  at Vernon Army Cadet Camp


Lauzon, Henry Peter Major (ret'd) - Korean War vet

1929 - 24 September 2007 

   Dearly loved, died peacefully on 24 September 2007 at the age of 78, with his beloved life partner and best friend Ruth Roy by his side.  Loving and cherished father of Carol (Ralph) and Desiree (Rick).  Loving and much loved frampa of Madeline and Rebecca.  Fiercely loyal and dedicated to those he loved, his country and helping others; he will be fondly  remembered and sadly missed by many.   Memorial donations to a Victoria hospice would be appreciated.  Private memorial will follow.

    Major Lauzon served as the training officer at Vernon Army Cadet Camp for many years.


Furey, Albert Cornelius (Con)

19 Nov 2007

Wednesday, November 14th 2007, peacefully surrounded by family. Conductor composer, Orchestra trumpet player and staff arranger. A/Dir Central Band of the RCAF, Ottawa. Graduated 1965 CF School of Music with CBA fellowship. 1965 A/Dir NORAD Band, Colorado Springs. Promoted Capt. 1967 A/Ddir Air Command Band Winnipeg. 1971-5 A/Dir Central Band CF Ottawa. Dir Naden Band, Victoria BC 1975-81. Promoted Major as Dir/Mus cadet bands (Pacific) 1982-87. He composed two marches for CF Units: Golden Hawks (1967) and Mercury March (1974). Con is survived by his wife Hazel: Sons and daughters, Tony, Kim, Karen and Brian; and grandchildren, Kent, Adina and Kelty. A brilliant musician, Con also had a quick wit and loved a good round of golf. He will be greatly missed by family and friends and fellow musicians. Donations may be made to The Victoria Hospice Society

Con served in Band Company in Vernon Army Cadet Camp from 1981-1990





back to Page 1