Last Post 

Page 7

back to Page 1

Our friends shall never be forgotten

Major Norman Lloyd Topham (Ret'd) 

June 16, 1919 - Sept. 6, 2007 

Major Norman Lloyd Topham (Ret'd) June 16, 1919 - Sept. 6, 2007 It is with deeper sadness we announce the passing of our beloved husband and father and grandfather on September 6, 2007. He is survived by his loving wife of 64 years Dorothy, son Bruce Topham (Brenda) and daughter Deborah Smith, both of Edmonton. He also leaves 3 grandsons Christopher and Matthew Major and Adam Smith, 7 granddaughters Jacqueline and Kristin Topham, Cherie and Tracy Topham, Ashley Major and Andrea and Amberly Smith, 2 great grandsons and 1 great granddaughter. Norman was born in Cranbrook, B.C. on June 16, 1919. He grew up in Salmon Arm and Mission, B.C. Norman was a career soldier serving in the Westminster Regiment and the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry until his retirement in 1968. We will miss you so much but our memories and love for you will be in our hearts forever.

LCol Brian McKenzie Munro, CD (Ret'd) 

MUNRO, LCol Brian McKenzie CD Passed away peacefully on June 3, 2009 at Richmond General Hospital after a brief illness. Brian began his military service when he was enrolled in the University of Manitoba Contingent of the Canadian Officer Training Corps from 1944 to 1946. In 1948 he joined the Winnipeg Grenadiers, a Reserve Army unit, as a Second Lieutenant and remained with them until 1950. He subsequently volunteered for service in the Canadian Army Special Force and was recruited for active operations in Korea. At that time he was appointed a Lieutenant in Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry Regiment and served as a Rifle Platoon Commander in Korea with the Second Battalion. Over the years he served with all three battalions of that Regiment; as well he held several staff and training appointments in various locations in Western Canada. He served for two years as a member at a Canadian Armed Forces Training Team in Ghana, West Africa and on return to Canada served as a parachute instructor. Besides Korea and Ghana, Brian saw service in Japan, North and South Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Israel, Syria, and Lebanon. He retired from regular duty in December 1982 and was appointed Commanding Officer of Vernon Army Cadet Camp in 1984 and 1985. Brian is survived by his four sons David, Ian (Sylvia), Mark (Gayle), Chris (Genevieve), and his daughter Robin. He is predeceased by his wife Olga and his daughter Leslie. No service by request. In lieu of flowers, donations can be made to the Canadian Diabetes Association.


Maj Roy Rigby-Jones CD (Ret'd) 

RIGBY-JONES - Roy John It is with sadness that we announce the passing of Major Roy John Rigby-Jones on Saturday, June 27, 2009 at the age of 88 following a battle with cancer. He will be missed by his son Ken (Peggy) and daughter Jill (Peter), granddaughter(s) Shannon (Mike) and Alaina, sister Betty (Bill) and numerous family, friends, business and army acquaintances. He commenced his Military career as a cadet in the Irish Fusiliers of Canada in 1936. Later he joined the Regiment as a boy signaler. During World War II he was commissioned from the ranks and served in the British West Indies, United Kingdom and Northwest Europe holding positions that included signals officer, physical training and unarmed combat instructor, infantry platoon commander and infantry training company commander. After the war ended, he completed his university education with a Bachelor of Commerce Degree and went to work for Revenue Canada until retirement in 1986. He was the holder of the France and German Star, Defence Medal, Canadian Volunteer Service Medal and Clasp, War Medal, Canada 125 Commemorative Medal, the Canadian Forces Decoration and the Queens Jubilee Medal. In recognition of his outstanding service to the Army Cadets he was presented with the Executive of the Year Award in 1991 and a 35 year volunteer service medal in 2009. The family would like to thank Dr. Germaine, Dr. Choi and the staff of St. Paul's Palliative Care unit for the wonderful care that he has received during his final days. A memorial service will be held on Monday, July 13, 2009 at 2:00 PM in First Memorial Burkeview Chapel, 1340 Dominion Avenue, Port Coquitlam, B.C., phone 604-944-4128. In lieu of flowers, a memorial donation may be made to the St. Paul's Hospital Foundation .

Capt Jonathon Snyder, SMV

20 Dec 1981 - 7 June 2008

Captain Jonathan Snyder, aged 26, a native of Penticton, BC died in an accident when fell into a well called a kariz. on the evening of June 7-8, 2008 during a joint night patrol with Afghan National Army forces while on deployed operations in Afghanistan . He was on his second tour of duty in Afghanistan and was a member of the Operational Mentoring Liaison Team (OMLT) working directly with the Afghan National Army to enhance the development of a trained military force in this troubled country that will allow Afghans to eventually provide for their own security without the outside assistance of NATO forces. He was a member of the 1st Battalion of the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry Regiment based in Edmonton, Alberta.

The tragic loss of an officer respected for his leadership and dedication to his profession with such a high potential was especially difficult for his fellow officers and soldiers to accept. This professionalism was exemplified shortly before his death during an incident where Capt Snyder, through his personal leadership and heroism, was instrumental in his team's survival during a battle with Taliban forces that had ambushed his group. The citation associated with the awarding of the Star of Military Valour to Capt. Snyder describes this action:

"Captain Jonathan Snyder, S.M.V. (deceased) Edmonton, Alberta and Penticton, British Columbia Star of Military Valour and Master-Corporal J. Donovan Ball, S.M.V. Edmonton, Alberta and Winnipeg, Manitoba Star of Military Valour.

Master Corporal Ball, then corporal, as well as corporals Baker and Bancarz, and captains Peel and Snyder, were deployed to Afghanistan to serve as mentors to an Afghan company, when they were ambushed by Taliban insurgents on June 4, 2008. With little chance of survival, they exposed themselves to great peril and retaliated against the enemy while encouraging the Afghan soldiers to do the same. Captain Snyder seized control of the situation and ensured that the Afghan soldiers retrieved their wounded comrades. Master Corporal Ball led a two-man team across broken terrain to secure an extraction route that allowed for the execution of a fighting withdrawal by Captain Peel and corporals Bancarz and Baker. Because of their dedication, leadership and valour, many Afghan and Canadian lives were saved."

Greatly mourned by his family, friends and Regimental comrades, Jonathan's life and actions stand as a tribute to his character and personal courage. Jonathan was a former army cadet with 788 British Columbia Dragoons RC(Army)CC in Penticton, BC joining at age 12. He obtained his National Gold Star and attended Outward Bound in Wales. He spend several summers on course at Vernon Army Cadet Summer Training Centre in the 1990s with his final summer employed as a staff cadet. He joined the Army in September 1999 as an ROTP candidate. Jon graduated from the University of Victoria in 2003 with a Bachelor of Arts, majoring in English with a minor in Sociology. He was the top candidate in two out of three summer officer training phases prior to receiving his commission. Promoted to Lieutenant, Jonathan served in the First Battalion, Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry in Edmonton, Alberta. He had three overseas missions in five years, including two to Southern Afghanistan. The first deployment was as a platoon commander in Afghanistan for eight months in 2006, where he was promoted to Captain; the second in Abu Dhabi (UAE) lasted three months in 2007; then he was back in Afghanistan, in the volatile Zhari district west of Kandahar City, beginning in February 2008. 

Always wishing to better himself, Jonathan completed a military Parachuting Course and obtained his Scuba Diving certification. Jonathan was a keen traveller and managed to see many parts of Canada and the world during his short, but active life.

Throughout Jon's career in the Canadian Forces, he always excelled. During his nascent years in training, Jonathan topped his Phase III Officer Course, a gruelling dismounted platoon command course designed to test the physical and mental endurance of Canada's Infantry Officers. On joining the First Battalion Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry in 2003, he quickly garnered the respect of his peers and superiors through his unwavering professionalism. He was later selected to be the Battalion's Senior Subaltern. Jon served brilliantly as a Rifle Platoon Commander in C Company on Task Force ORION in 2006, his first deployment, facing furious gun battles with insurgent. He saw action at Sangin, in neighboring Helmand province, as well as in the Panjwaii district of Kandahar and led his men decisively and courageously, from the front, during sustained action in Pashmul and Sangin, earning him a promotion to Captain just before he went home in August 2006.

He cautioned soldiers on the next rotation not to confuse all the local Afghans with the enemy moving among them.

"The people here aren't much different from the way people act back home in Canada if you're dealing with teenagers and little kids," he told his replacements in August 2006.

"There are a lot of similarities. I'd say, go in there with an open mind and treat people as you would back home in Canada and go from there."

Shortly after his return to Canada, Jonathan voluntarily competed as a solo member in the Canadian Death Race He was awarded the gold medal.

Supremely fit, tactically gifted and exceptionally dedicated, Jon was selected to be the First Battalion Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry's Senior Subaltern, entrusted with the safety of the Regimental Colours, along with a small group of select Corporals, Master Corporals, a Sergeant, a Warrant Officer and another Junior Officer, who comprised The Colour Party.

Acutely aware of the risks, Captain Snyder voluntarily re-deployed in February 2008 for an eight-month term to Southern Afghanistan with the Operational Mentoring and Liaison Team (OMLT OMLT Operational Mentor and Liaison Team (North Atlantic Treaty Organization; Afghanistan) )that has Canadian officers training troops in the fledgling Afghan National Army Afghan National Army (ANA) is a service branch of the Military of Afghanistan that is currently being trained by the to ultimately take the lead in land-based military operations. . He was the leader of his four-man mentoring team, training about one hundred ANA soldiers

Shortly after his arrival, on 26 February 2008 Captain Snyder performed life-saving first aid on several partnered Afghan National Army personnel after a rocket-propelled grenade was accidentally discharged by an Afghan soldier, deservedly earning Jonathan a Chief of the Defence Staff Commendation. His unwavering courage, uncompromising loyalty, technical proficiency and rare human character earned him the enduring respect of his partnered Afghan National Army personnel.

Corporals Baker, Ball and Bancarz, and Captains Peel and Snyder were ambushed by Taliban insurgents on 4 June 2008. Effectively pinned down from three directions, and under the most perilous circumstances, Captain Snyder did not waiver, exhibiting heroic leadership and gallantry under intense fire by mentoring his Afghan counterpart, refusing to undermine his peer. Jonathan was characteristically calm but decisive and left no man behind, personally co-ordinating the extraction of two Afghan National Army soldiers who had been mortally shot in the head. Corporal Ball led a two-man team across broken terrain to secure an extraction route that allowed for the execution of a fighting withdrawal by Captain

Peel and Corporals Bancarz and Baker. Because of their dedication, leadership and valour, many Afghan and Canadian lives were saved.

Three days later, on 7 June 2008, while conducting a security foot patrol in the volatile Zhari district west of Kandahar City, Captain Snyder fell into an irrigation well about 9:00 p.m., Kandahar time, in an area dominated by grape fields. Wells, known locally as karizes, are found in the area. They tie into underground irrigation ditches and can be quite deep. A crescent moon that night had offered only feeble light, not enough for a soldier to see his own hand in front of his face, much less the ground underfoot. Even with night vision gear, which all troops wear, the opening would appear only as a shadow.

Zhari district is a maze of rural fields and mud compounds and a hornet's nest of insurgent INSURGENT. One who is concerned in an insurrection. He differs from a rebel in this, that rebel is always understood in a bad sense, or one who unjustly opposes the constituted authorities; insurgent may be one who justly opposes the tyranny of constituted authorities. activity. Brigadier-General Thompson said the rescue effort was hampered by the lack of light and security in the area and even the terrain around the well. "The embankments are very soft," he said. "So you can imagine scrambling around the edges of one of those at night. Last night, the moon was a sliver and it was quite dark."

The weight of his equipment hindered Captain Snyder from being able to stay afloat as members of his patrol tried unsuccessfully to extract him from the well. Medical, engineering, along with search and rescue assets were rushed to the scene and Captain Snyder was lifted out of the well. He was evacuated by helicopter to the Multi-National Medical Unit at Kandahar Airfield but, sadly, was pronounced dead upon arrival.

Lieutenant-Colonel David Anderson of the First Battalion, Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry, said that Captain Jonathan Snyder is remembered by his regiment as "a natural combat leader who was fearless underfire and always pushed the envelope ... always looking for Looking for

In the context of general equities, this describing a buy interest in which a dealer is asked to offer stock, often involving a capital commitment. Antithesis of in touch with. new challenges and ways to push himself."

"His troops looked up and admired him, not just because he was an officer, but because he was a very decent human being," said Master Warrant Officer Mark Pickford.

Major Ryan Jurkkowski said, "Captain Snyder never lost his humanity under the most inhuman of conditions. On one mission, in 2006, when his vehicle was hit by an IED, Snyder calmly gathered his men and then went to the nearest village to warn the elders of the explosive and to reinforce Canada's mission to help rebuild and bring peace to the region. Just an absolute beautiful thing to see ... Jon did epitomize the modern warrior spirit, the warrior ethos."

Captain Snyder and his Afghan interpreter formed a very close relationship of mutual respect for one another while maintaining a highly functional working relationship, just one example of Jon's ability to connect with, work with, and build respected relationships with others.

His mother remembered, that even as a preschooler, he loved to play soldier, dressing up in a camouflage suit.

"He always knew what he wanted," Anne Snyder said from her home in Halifax. "Since he was twelve years old, he wanted to be in the army. He always wanted to be in the Joint Task Force Two," the Canadian Forces special operations unit often involved in confidential missions. Jonathan was hoping to start the JTF course in January 2009, once he passed selection in the fall of 2008 upon arrival back home in Canada. It was his ultimate goal within his military career to be a JTF2 member.


LCol Fern Ladouceur

Sept. 17, 1920 - Nov 1, 2008

Fernand Joseph Ladouceur, known as “ Lad” or “Fern” age 88, of 42 Campbell Ct. passed away on Nov. 1st. He was born in Ottawa on Sept. 17, 1920, son of Solomon and Fredeline Ladouceur and had lived in Stratford since 1952. In 1944 Fern graduated from the Ontario Agriculture College in Guelph. He went on active service with the Royal Canadian Navy Volunteer Reserve and served on the high seas until the war ended in 1945. He attended the Ontario College of Education and earned his specialist in Physical and Health Education in 1948. Fern began his teaching career at North Essex High School in Belle River as head of the Agriculture Science and the Physical and Health Education Departments. Two years later he taught Mathematics and Physical Education at Leamington District High School. In 1952 he was hired to teach Physical Education at Stratford Collegiate Institute. Mr. Ladouceur assumed the headship of Physical Education in 1956 and became Chief Instructor of the 223 Stratford Central Secondary School Cadet Corp in 1961. He attained the rank of Lt. Col. in the Cadet Services of Canada and spent many summers training cadets at Ipperwash Army Cadet Camp. Lad loved the outdoors and during his spare time he enjoyed camping, fishing, horseshoe pitching and traveling across Canada, the most beautiful country in the world. As a young lad aged 13, 14 and 15 he was an outstanding horseshoe pitcher and was inducted into the Horseshoe Hall of Fame in 1999. Lad was an active member of Kilroy Council #1431 of the Knights of Columbus and a fourth degree member of the Justice J.M. King Assembly. He was a past Grand Knight of the Council and a 45 year member of the Royal Canadian Legion. Lad retired in 1984 after teaching at Stratford Central Secondary School for 32 years.


Maj John Ronald MacDonald

January 31, 1930 to January 8, 2010


It is with a profound sense of sadness and loss that we announce the passing of John Ronald MacDonald early on January 8, 2010 at Bastion Place in Salmon Arm, ending a long battle with Parkinson’s Disease. 

 John (Ron) was born to Neil and Nell (Sugden) MacDonald at Broadview Saskatchewan on January 31, 1930 and moved to Greeley, then Revelstoke, British Columbia around age 5.

 As young men do, he had many career attempts, shoveling sawdust, trainman with CP Rail, Merchant Marine in Vancouver.  He enlisted with the Canadian Armed Forces Canadian Scottish Regiment in 1952.  He was proud to become a member of the 2nd Battalion Black Watch and later transferred to the Canadian Signal Corps.  His military career included 18 months in Korea, winters in the northern territories, Jamaica, Congo, Cyprus and more.  John was a loyal member of the Royal Canadian Legion.  He was presented with the Medal of Military Merit by the Governor General of Canada. 

His outstanding military career of 38 years culminated with Military Reserves and cadets including a substantial influence on the Cadet Corps at Revelstoke BC and Vernon Cadet Camp.  After retirement from the armed forces, he enjoyed  driving school bus in the Salmon Arm area.

John and his family had many moves and postings across Canada and a year in Germany.  While stationed in Camp Aldershot in Nova Scotia, he met and married Shirley (Barkhouse) in 1953.  They have two children, John (Cindy) at Golden BC and Pamela (Steve) at Victoria BC.  There are five grandchildren, Ashley, Tracey, Scott, Sheena and Kaitlin and one great grandson, Benjamin. 

John loved life and was a story teller.  His passion was spending time with his grand children.  His community involvement included various organizations and he participated in all levels of the Boy Scout movement and generally working with young people.  Fun time was spent square dancing, curling, golfing, skiing, boating, and camping.  John especially enjoyed his adventure of following David Thompson’s route over the Athabasca Trail from Edmonton through the Rockies to the head waters of the Thompson River in 1977.

John was predeceased by his father, mother and brother (Hugh).  He is survived and greatly missed by his wife, children and their families, sister (Sheila) and nephews Douglas, Robert, Dennis, William, Tony and niece Stephanie.

The family offers a warm thank you to Dr Jack Beech for his exceptional caring over the years.  We extend sincere appreciation to the staff at Bastion Place for their kindness and personal attention.  Harmony Haven is also recognized for their significant contribution to the enrichment of John’s life.

Funeral arrangements are in care of Bowers Funeral Home and Crematorium in Salmon Arm.  A Celebration of Life Service will be held at Bowers Funeral Chapel on Saturday 16 January 2010 at 11 am.  A burial will be arranged at a later date.

Please contribute to Parkinson Society British Columbia in lieu of flowers, 800 – 890 West Pender Street, Vancouver, B.C. V6J 1J9;

Godfrey Yeoman Knox

Jan 22 1939 - Jan 2 2010 

A Geordie from Tyneside, Godfrey gave up a promising soccer career with Newcastle United to come to Canada in 1956. A lifetime adventurer, he taught wilderness survival, alpine rescue, mountaineering, and SCUBA. His memorable climbs include Mt McKinley's Cassin Ridge route, Squamish Grand Wall, Banff's Mother's Day Buttress, the first au naturel ascent of Fleming Beach overhang, and a light-bulb ascent of BC's parliament building to adorn Captain Vancouver with underwear. He taught in BC, Alberta, Yukon, and Wales Plas y Brenin National Mountain Centre. He was a SCUBA dive master, a patented inventor, a published writer, a toastmaster, a champion springboard diver and coach, a private pilot, and a movie stuntman. Godfrey endured his lengthy illness with great courage, strength and dignity. Lovingly remembered by his wife Nicky, daughter Erin (pride of his life), soulmate Helen, mother-in-law Maria, brothers Doug, Larry (Joan), Wally (Dianne) and sister Pam. Predeceased by brothers Peter and Gary. Your intense passion and irrepressible spirit will live on. We are so very proud of you. We miss you desperately, Godfrey, and love you always and forever. The family extends many thanks to Dr Jamie Cox, Christopher, Esther, Helen, and Lisa who all went far beyond the call of duty to care for Godfrey at home. Memorial service Jan 15 3:30 pm UVic Chapel followed by a Celebration of Godfrey's life at Smitty's Restaurant 850 Douglas 6:00 pm. In lieu of flowers family would love to receive a written account of a fond/humorous Godfrey memory, quote, adventure or anecdote to include in the family memory book. E-condolences to 574575


Leo Mulholland



Leo Mulholland of Cumberland Bay passed away on Monday, December 28, 2009 at the Saint John Regional Hospital. Born at Saint John on September 14, 1937, he was a son of the late Charles and Regina (Maillet) Mulholland.

Leo taught in various Saint John schools including St. Patrick’s School in Saint John West, St. Pius School, St. Peter’s School, Saint John Vocational School where he served as Vice-Principal, and Simond’s Junior High School where he served as Principal. Leo was a member of the Army Cadet League of Canada, and the Royal Canadian Legion Branch # 74. He was President of the New Brunswick Association of Fire Prevention Officers, and volunteered with the Cumberland Bay Fire Department. He was a former member of the New Brunswick Symphony Orchestra, and as past-times enjoyed Dinner Theatre and character roles in Mystery Weekends, as well as guided tours.

Leo is survived by his children, Mark Mulholland of Saint John, Beth Fry (Jeff) of Saint John and their children Courtney and Ryan, and Margot Hanlon (Joseph) of Lorneville and their children Robert, Billy, Nicole, and Tommy; brothers John Mulholland of St. John’s, NL and his children Charles, Allan, Ian, and Colin, David Mulholland (Phyllis) of Montreal, QC and their sons Eric and Michael, Gerard Mulholland of Campbellton, Raymond Mulholland (Phyllis) of Waasis and their children Patricia, Cheryl, and Robert, Sister Gertrude Mulholland, SCIC of Sherwood Park, AB, and Sister Rose Marie Mulholland, SCIC, of Saint John.

In addition to his parents, Leo was predeceased by his wife, Jean (Morrison) Mulholland, and his brother, Michael.


Colonel Anthony Arthur Humphreys, CD

1938 - 23 May 2008

Colonel Anthony Arthur Humphreys, CD (Retd) passed on 23 May 2008 in Victoria while recovering from heart bypass surgery. Born in 1938 in Australia, Tony immigrated to Canada with his parents and siblings in 1952.

Upon graduation from North Vancouver High School, Tony joined the Canadian Army in 1956 and trained under the Regular Officer Training Plan while attending the University of British Columbia. Completing his studies in 1961, he commenced a 33-year career with the Canadian Military Engineers as a Troop Commander in 3 Field Squadron RCE in Chilliwack, BC. This was followed by a two-tear posting with Recruit Training Squadron in the Royal Canadian School of Military Engineering at Chilliwack. Tony then went to Tanzania, East Africa, for a year with the Canadian Armed Forces Advisory & Training Team as Company Commander and Engineer Staff Officer.

Returning to Canada in 1967, Tony was Second-In-Command, 2 Field Squadron RCE, at Camp Gagetown, NB for a year before he was posted to 1 Airborne Engineer Squadron as its Second-In-Command. He was appointed Commanding Officer in 1969. After this tour, Tony proceeded to England to undertake staff training at the British Army Staff College, Camberly.

Upon completion of this course, Tony was a Planning Staff Officer, Military Plans and Operations Division at National Defence Headquarters for a year before embarking on a one-year tour as Station Commander and Staff Officer with the United Nations Military Observer Group In India and Pakistan 1973 - 1974.

Upon his return to Canada, Tony was appointed Officer Commanding Military Engineering Squadron at the Canadian Forces School of Military Engineering, 1975 - 1977. He then went back to NDHQ, Ottawa as Director of Property Records and Legal Services for a year before starting a four year appointment as Base Technical Services Officer, CFB Borden. He then returned to NDHQ in 1982 for a three-year assignment as Executive Officer to the Vice-Chief of the Defence Staff. In 1985 Tony was posted to Pacific Militia Area, Vancouver, first as Deputy Chief of Staff and, upon promotion to Colonel, as Chief Of Staff until his retirement in 1989.

In 1991 Tony accepted an appointment by the Legislative Assembly of British Columbia as Sergeant-at-Arms and was serving in that position at the time of his passing.

Tony enjoyed sailing, spending many happy hours on his boat "Wombat" as well as passing on his sailing knowledge and life experience at the Sail and Life Training Society. Tony also enjoyed flying, receiving his private pilot license in 1963. In 1985 Tony and his foster-son Lucien flew "EMJ" across Canada.

As well as other volunteer community work, for many years Tony was very active at the Anglican Christ Church Cathedral serving in a number of voluntary capacities.



back to Page 1