Back to Cadet Corps Database 1801-1900 page

#1882 Cadet Corps

Name -  Guelph Collegiate and Vocational Institute Cadet Corps

Guelph Collegiate Institute Cadet Corps (1952-1964) Guelph Secondary Schools Cadet Corps (1964-1976), The Wellington Rifles (1976- )

Location  Guelph, ON

Formed April 24, 1942     Disbanded  March 31, 1948

Reformed  September 10, 1951    Disbanded  Active

Commanding Officers/Chief Instructors- 

unknown (1942-48, 1951-73) 

 

 Maj Robert J.P. Lyon, CD (1974-79)  Biography

  (photo)

 Capt G.L. Batke (1979-)  Biography

  (photo)

Capt R.P. Bawden (1982)  Biography 

  (photo)

 Maj Robert J.P. Lyon, CD (1983-86) Biography    (photo)
Capt. Bruce Walker (1986-89) Biography    (photo)

 Maj Robert J.P. Lyon, CD (1989-91) Biography 

  (photo)

Capt Alan K. Miller (1991-94)  Biography 

 

Capt Willem Kerkhof (1994-98)  Biography  

 

 Capt Harry Kerkhof (1998-2001)  Biography

 

Capt Alan K. Miller (2001-04)  Biography 

 

Capt Howard Scrimgeour, CD (2004-07 )  Biography 

Capt Alan K. Miller, CD (2007-10) Biography 

 

Capt Wendy Hamilton (2010- ) Biography 

 

 

Senior Cadets 

 

 

 

 

C/Maj S. Hill (1969-70)

(photo)

 

 

C/Lt E.S. Currie (1978)

(photo)

 

 

Corps Flag

 (photo)

Corps Home

Guelph Armoury (Howard Scrimgeour, Aug 29, 2004)

 

 

 

 

 

 

History - In 1882 (officially, in 1884) a cadet corps known as The Highland Cadets was raised at the Guelph Grammar School by Captain Walter Clarke, RA, a Crimea veteran who was demobilized in Canada after colonial service and hired as a PTI at the Guelph Grammar School. This unit was later serialized as Cadet Corps #18. Although Army Cadet training for girls was not authorized until 30 July 1975, in 1884 Captain Clarke also formed a locally sponsored girls’ corps known as The Daughters of the Regiment.  Along with the Canadian Militia, the Army Cadet program also fell on hard times in the 1930s, and The Highland Cadets, along with many other corps, was disbanded. Cadet training was revived during World War Two as Guelph Collegiate Institute Cadet Corps, sponsored by the Guelph Board of Education and affiliated with the 11th Field Artillery Regt, then fell again into decline after the War. 

See also #18 Guelph Collegiate Institute Cadet Corps

 

History - This Corps has roots the Guelph Collegiate Institute Cadet Corps, formed 22 Oct 1886, and allocated the number 18 in 1904. The corps disbanded 9 Nov 1933.


This Corps was formed 24 Apr 1942, designated Guelph Collegiate and Vocational Institute Cadet Corps, sponsored by the Board of Education and affiliated with 11th (R) Fd Regt RCA. The Corps was disbanded 31 Mar 1948. 

It was revived a third time in 1964 as #1882 Guelph Secondary Schools Cadet Corps, and again affiliated with the 11th Field Artillery Regt. In 1976 it was realized that The Wellingtons’ tradition deserved to be perpetuated, so the Cadet Corps, still affiliated with 11th
Field Artillery Regt, was redesignated #1882 The Wellington Regiment Cadet Corps. A year later this was changed to #1882 The Wellington Rifles Cadet Corps, which continues to wear the silver version of the badge approved in 1928. 


Effective 10 Sep 1951 the Corps was reformed and designated Guelph Collegiate and Vocational Institute Cadet Corps, Guelph, Ontario, and affiliated with 11th Fd Regt RCA. Effective 12 Apr 1960 Corps affiliated with 11th Fd Arty Regt. Effective 1 Sep 1964 Corps was re-designated Guelph Secondary School Cadet Corps, and affiliated with 11th Fd Arty Regt. Effective 1 Jun 1976 a change of name to The Wellington Regiment Cadet Corps was approved.

11th Field Artillery Regiment RCA Cadet Corps, 

 

1942 1943 1944 1945 1946 1947 1948 - - 1951
1952 1953 1954 1955 1956 1957 1958 1959 1960 1961
1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971
1972 1973 1974 1975 1976 1977 1978 1979 1980 1981
1982 1983 1984 1985 1986 1987 1988 1989 1990 1991
1992 1993 1994 1995 1996 1997 1998 1999 2000 2001
2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011
2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 2021